Book your vocal assessment/ audition here!
About Coastal Sound Youth Choir
Coastal Sound Youth Choir has gained an influential reputation in the Canadian choral community for its passionate and imaginative performances. The choir is made up of young people ages 15 to 24, representing municipalities across Metro Vancouver. Conductors Morna Edmundson, Carrie Tennant and Joel Tranquilla have each played critical and formative roles in the shaping and success of this choir over the past 25 years, and it has won numerous national accolades over its history.
Eclectic, heartfelt, creative, and full of the energy and determination of youth, Coastal Sound Youth Choir performances have become a destination for music fans. At the core of the ensemble is a care and respect for the music, which builds powerful connections between singers and listeners.
Most importantly, Coastal Sound singers believe that there is “no better way to learn about compassion, humanity, integrity, and beauty, than by making music with people you care about” (Stephanie Browning – Alto 2)
Watch Coastal Sound Youth Choir videos here
Will de Sousa, Director
David Antoniuk, Pianist
Learn more about the Artistic Team here.
|Annual Payment in Full||Monthly Payment (10 months)|
|$775.00||$87.00 per month|
The fee includes two and half hours of weekly rehearsal with a professional accompanist, all music, a two-night intensive retreat with guest clinicians, a $75 tour credit, performance opportunities and some uniform pieces.
- Youth Choir T-Shirt/ Casual Uniform: first t-shirt is provided free of charge, replacements are available for $12
- Coastal Sound logo T-shirt / Casual Uniform: first t-shirt is provided free of charge, replacements are available for $12
- Coastal Sound Jacket with your name embroidered on it: $65
- Folder (one-time): $45 (or provide your own black choral folder)
- Tour Fees: TBA, subject to tour
All fees are payable at the first rehearsal, by cash, cheque or Visa/Mastercard.
Option #1: Black long skirt*, Black tunic*, Coastal Sound vest*, black nylons, black dress shoes.
Option #2: Black button-up dress shirt, black dress pants, blue tie*, black socks and black dress shoes.
*indicates items that are provided by Coastal Sound
First of all, relax! It’s going to be friendly and welcoming! These music placement evaluations are to make sure that singers are placed where they will have the most success in our choirs. We guarantee that you will find the process positive and affirming, whatever your level of experience.
For the Youth Choir, commitment is an essential part of participation. All singers receive a draft calendar of events for the full year in September, and members will be required to attend all performances, workshops and rehearsals throughout the year.
Here is an outline of our audition process:
- Applicants sing a short a cappella song of their choice (a portion of a song is fine). There is no accompanist at the audition.
- Applicants sight-sing a short, simple musical passage (note: the ability to read music is valued in this ensemble, but not required. This part of the audition will help us to determine where you are in your growth as a musician.)
- Our Artistic Team performs an aural skills evaluation (echo back short melodies)
- Applicants are given a short placement music theory sheet (note naming, basic terminology, key signatures, etc). A poor result on the theory portion will not exclude you from participation in the choir. It is merely in place to help us to determine where you are in your growth as a musician. The youth choir contains singers with a wide variety of experience. On top of vocal potential, the conductor of the youth choir looks for many things in your audition including a positive attitude, a flexible and open learning style, and a willingness to grow and develop as a musician.
We will be accepting new singers to start in September, 2019. We look forward to meeting you!