We also call this choir for all boys, “Con BRO”, meaning “with brothers”, because that is what we strive to do here: create a safe space for musical boys to explore their voices and develop their musicianship while making new friends and finding kindred spirits. Con BRO celebrates and highlights the unique tone of boys’ unchanged voices, and caters to the specific needs of these singers. Coastal Sound Boychoir is a fast paced, creative lab for boys to explore their singing voices, stage presence and acting skills, with lots of camaraderie thrown into the mix!
Older boys with beginning experience in choir, and younger boys with some previous music training
Singers in Coastal Sound Boychoir learn:
- Healthy vocal technique
- Stage performance skills
- Simple choreography
- to connect sound to symbol in music reading
- to follow a musical score; part singing and harmonization
- Leadership skills, public speaking & solo singing
- Team-building and making music as a group
- to be an independent musician, and thoughtful artist
We group singers by age and ability to meet singers’ social-emotional development and intellectual needs. New music readers and beginners’ levels for theory sight singing program are offered, and all are encouraged to complete Book 2 by the end of their time in Coastal Sound Boychoir.
Music, theory books, binders and all supplies are provided.
Tuesdays 5-6:30pm classes are 90 minutes long and include theory/ sight singing program
Place: Blakeburn Elementary School, 1040 Riverside Drive, Port Coquitlam
Director: Deanna Gestrin
Uniforms: Coastal Sound Navy T-shirts w/ jeans; Coastal Sound white shirts & ties with plain black dress pants, plain black dress shoes and black socks
Formal Performances: At least 3 per year
SEPTEMBER/ OCTOBER start up
Tuition: $625 if paid in full or $72 per month for 10 months includes:
- top-notch choral music instruction Sept-June
- theory materials
- music and binders
- CSMA t-shirt for new singers
- Membership in the Coastal Sound Musica Academy Society (non-profit society)
Uniform: $25 Coastal Sound uniform shirt required
Singers must supply their own black dress pants, plain black dress shoes and black socks.
Additional items: not required for Con Brio
- “In Lieu of fundraising” a tax-deductible donation of $150 required per CSMA family OR $150 minimum in pledges collected for our Sound-A-Thon in October
- a minimum of TWO volunteer tree-lot shifts at our IKEA tree lot, November- December
May include Purdy’s chocolates, bedding plants, Neufeld farms, Pub nights. These are optional, if you’d like to participate.
Please ask us about FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE so that all singers can participate!
Tuition Bursaries and Sibling Discounts available! firstname.lastname@example.org