Book your placement interview here!
About Coastal Sound Youth Choir
The Coastal Sound Youth Choir has become known in the Canadian choral community for their passionate and imaginative performances. The choir is made up of 65 young people aged 14-22, representing over ten different municipalities from across the Metro Vancouver area of British Columbia. Eclectic, heartfelt, creative, and full of the energy and determination of youth, Coastal Sound Youth Choir performances have become a destination for music fans across the region.
Coastal Sound has been featured on CBC Radio for their work with their popular Indiekör concerts, which bring together the choir with local indie-rock band the Salteens. In summer of 2014, Indiekör and Coastal Sound was the subject of a 30 minute documentary for Telus Optik TV.
Coastal Sound singers love to connect with and learn from other choirs, and over the past few years they have shared the stage with Vancouver Cantata Singers, Kokopelli, Elektra Women’s Choir, musica intima, and the Nylons. Repeated award winners at the National Music Festival, in 2013 Coastal Sound was awarded first place in the youth choir category at the ACCC National Competition for Amateur Choirs, and traveled to Montana to participate in the International Choral Festival. In June of 2013, the choir was chosen, along with Elektra Women’s Choir, to represent Canada at the 2013 Chorus America Conference.
Most importantly, Coastal Sound singers believe that there is “no better way to learn about compassion, humanity, integrity, and beauty, than by making music with people you care about” (Stephanie Browning – Alto 2)
Will de Sousa & Joel Tranquilla, Directors
David Antoniuk, Pianist
Learn more about the Artistic Team here.
|Annual Payment in Full||Monthly Payment (10 months)|
|$775.00||$87.00 per month|
The fee includes two and half hours of weekly rehearsal with a professional accompanist, all music, a two-night intensive retreat with guest clinicians, a $75 tour credit, performance opportunities and some uniform pieces.
- Youth Choir T-Shirt/ Casual Uniform: first t-shirt is provided free of charge, replacements are available for $12
- Coastal Sound logo T-shirt / Casual Uniform: first t-shirt is provided free of charge, replacements are available for $12
- Folder (one-time): $45
- Tour Fees: TBA, subject to director’s plans
All fees are payable at the first rehearsal, by cash, cheque or Visa/Mastercard.
Women: Black Skirt*, Black Sweater*, Coastal Sound vest*, black nylons, black dress shoes.
Men: Black button-up dress shirt, black dress pants, blue tie*, black socks and black dress shoes.
*indicates items that are provided by Coastal Sound
First of all, relax! It’s going to be friendly and welcoming! These music placement evaluations are to make sure that singers are placed where they will have the most success in our choirs. We guarantee that you will find the process positive and affirming, whatever your level of experience.
For the Youth Choir, commitment is an essential part of participation. All singers receive a draft calendar of events for the full year in September, and members will be required to attend all performances, workshops and rehearsals throughout the year.
Here is an outline of our audition process:
- Applicants sing a short a cappella song of their choice (a portion of a song is fine). There is no accompanist at the audition.
- Applicants sight-sing a short, simple musical passage (note: the ability to read music is valued in this ensemble, but not required. This part of the audition will help us to determine where you are in your growth as a musician.)
- Our Artistic Team performs an aural skills evaluation (echo back short melodies)
- Applicants are given a short placement music theory sheet (note naming, basic terminology, key signatures, etc). A poor result on the theory portion will not exclude you from participation in the choir. It is merely in place to help us to determine where you are in your growth as a musician. The youth choir contains singers with a wide variety of experience. On top of vocal potential, the conductor of the youth choir looks for many things in your audition including a positive attitude, a flexible and open learning style, and a willingness to grow and develop as a musician.
We will be accepting new singers to start in September, 2018. We look forward to meeting you!